Flicker Alley and a group of amazing sites for fans of silent and classic film are proud to bring you this giveaway for?Behind the Door?(1919) on Dual-Format Edition Blu-ray/DVD.
Legendary producer Thomas H. Ince and director Irvin V. Willat made this??the most outspoken of all the vengeance films according to film historian Kevin Brownlow?during the period of World War I-inspired American patriotism. Hobart Bosworth stars as Oscar Krug, a working-class American, who is persecuted for his German ancestry after war is declared. Driven by patriotism, Krug enlists and goes to sea. However, tragedy strikes when his wife (Jane Novak) sneaks aboard his ship and is captured following a German U-boat attack. Krug?s single-minded quest for vengeance against the sadistic German submarine commander (played with villainous fervor by Wallace Beery) leads to the film?s shocking and brutal climax.
This newly restored edition represents the most complete version of the film available since 1919,thanks to the collaboration of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, the Library of Congress, and Gosfilmofond of Russia. Sourced from the only two known remaining prints and referencing a copy of Willat?s original continuity script, this edition recreates the original color tinting scheme and features a new score composed and performed by Stephen Horne. Flicker Alley is honored to present Behind the Dooron Blu-ray and DVD for the first time ever.
Bonus Materials Include:
- Original Russian version of Behind the Door: The re-edited and re-titled version of the film that was distributed in Russia, with musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne.
- Original Production Outtakes: Featuring music composed and performed by Stephen Horne.
- Restoring Irvin Willat?s Behind the Door:An inside look at the restoration process with the restoration team.
- Kevin Brownlow, Remembering Irvin Willat: Directed by Patrick Stanbury, an in-depth interview with renowned historian and honorary Academy Award? winner Kevin Brownlow on the career of director Irvin Willat.
- Slideshow Gallery: Original lobby cards, production stills, and promotional material.
- 12-page Booklet: Featuring rare photographs and essays by film historian Jay Weissburg, film restorer Robert Byrne, and composer Stephen Horne.
Official Release Date: April 4, 2017?Pre-order now at the special sale price of $29.95 for a limited time!
Giveaway Hosted By:?Flicker Alley
Co-Hosted By:?Nitrateville?Silent Era?Once Upon a Screen?Silent-ology?Ferdy on Films?Caren?s Classic Cinema?Toronto Film Society?Spellbound By Movies?A Classic Movie Blog?Second Sight Cinema?Sister Celluloid?Cinematic Catharsis?Classic Movie Man?Old Hollywood Films?Thrilling Days of YesteryearTrue Classics
One lucky winner will receive a copy of Behind the Door (1919) on Dual-Format Edition Blu-ray/DVD from Flicker Alley! Giveaway is open to residents of U.S./Canada and ends on April 12, 2017.
Please watch the trailer above and let me know what your?favorite part was in the comments below!